Open Work Permit

You may get open work permit under following categories :

  • Regular Open Work Permit
  • Post-graduation Work Permit
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • World Youth Program Permit
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program Spouse Permit
  • Bridging Open Work Permit
  • Temporary Work Permit for spouses and partners

Bridging Open Work Permit

A bridging open work permit is required by a foreign national to work or to continue to work in Canada while waiting for decision on permanent application. A foreign national can apply for it if his current work permit is valid or it is expiring in 4 months. Most of the programs for permanent residence allows a foreign national to apply for bridging open work permit including PNP (Provincial Nomination Programs) and programs
under Express Entry.

Post-Graduate Work Permit

Post-Graduate Work Permit is for international students who have completed a full-time program of at least of 8 months from a post-secondary designated learning institute in Canada. This is an open work permit and students can work anywhere and for any eligible employer in Canada. Usually, the work permit is issued for time spent on full time study, but a student may get up to 3 years of open work permit. Work obtained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit is counted towards meeting eligibility for various programs available for permanent residence. PGWP is not employer-specific and provides greater employment flexibility for recent graduates. It is very important to note that the PGWP is issued only once to eligible student in lifetime.

Eligibility Criteria :

  • A student has completed a full-time study of at least 8 months at eligible Designated Learning Institute (DLI)
  • A student has maintained the full-time status during the study.
  • They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.
Who’s ineligible for PGWP? You are not eligible if you
  • have been issued a post-graduation work permit in past
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
  • obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada–Chile
  • participated in the Canada–China Scholars’ Exchange Program
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed most of your program of study by distance learning
  • completed a program of study delivered by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of their length of stay in Canada